Tuesday, October 9, 2012

"Miami Takes Manhattan"

Well, I figured it would only be appropriate to follow up on my previous blog post about prepping for the New York trip, I cannot just leave that hanging!

After leaving Thursday morning for an unbearably long bus ride (we were in that bus from 8 am to 11 pm, with some stops), we finally arrived at our hotel! It was located in New Jersey, right across the water from New York City so we had to take a ferry to get there. The level of independence we had was crazy, especially for a bunch of college freshmen.

Friday, the Symphony Orchestra was the only group to not have rehearsal that morning, so my friend Stephanie and I set off at around nine in the morning since we had all day to explore the city. I basically had a "go-with-the-flow" mentality, which I realized that I should not ever have again when it comes to trips. I like structure and organization, so I'll keep that in mind for the next time I travel. Stephanie had some idea of what she wanted to do that day, so I was fine with whatever she wanted to do.

Anyway, we took the ferry and walked to Times Square, then to Central Park.  After we explored those two areas for a bit (feet already dying), we decided to try to take a taxi to China Town and do some shopping. We survived the taxi ride, but our experience there was much more questionable. For anyone who has not been to China Town or any sort of area where the store vendors actually bargain prices with you, this would be a crazy experience...well, it still was for us, but still. We went to this one store and Stephanie was only looking at their perfume stock, so a lady working there basically tried forcing her to buy some perfume even though she did not have enough cash on her. It was getting pretty intense, so she said she would show us where the ATM was so we could get more money and she could buy the perfume. While we were doing so, I noticed that the guy who was working that store was waiting outside to make sure would come back and buy the perfume. That is when I was getting a little scared, but when we left the store we booked it away so fast and we heard him yelling after us. Nothing like that ever happened when I went to China Town last time with my orchestra in high school!

After visiting a couple more stores, we caught a taxi back to Times Square and spent the rest of the evening there. I realized all day that Stephanie had tickets to a Broadway play for that night when I did not, but she claimed that her friend had someone who I could go back to the hotel with, so that concern was merely in the back of my mind. However, when we met up with them later so that they could go to the show, there was a miscommunication and everyone had a ticket to play but me. Long story short, one girl ended up not going and coming back with me. This, however, included going on the subway and finding ourselves going on a train in the opposite direction than what we needed, getting out, going into a TGI Fridays to have someone help us get a taxi, and (somehow) safely arriving back to the hotel. There were some honest moments there when I was concerned about getting back, but I tried to stay confident and to not freak out that we were basically lost in New York City.

Saturday, luckily, was not as crazy. We had rehearsal in the morning and then spent the day at the Natural History Museum (with a successful subway ride this time) and Times Square shopping. I had this amazing Thai food dish that evening for dinner though. It was definitely I nice change from dining hall food.






Sunday, the big concert day! We had a very structured schedule for that day, in contrast to the complete freedom the days prior. I was so amazed when we arrived, Carnegie Hall is an amazing concert hall, and playing there was definitely something I will never forget. There was a point when we were performing that I was legitimately having fun, and especially when we played Miami's Alma Matar to close the concert and I briefly looked up to see the entire audience standing and singing along, it was just amazing. I'm so greatful to have been allotted this experience. Not everyone can say that they performed in Carnegie Hall!

Monday was just another entire bus day, and I was going crazy as usual. Oh well, I somehow survived two independent days in the city that never sleeps, but now I must work to catch up with my school work. Especially for a midterm that I have tomorrow!



Valerie 

No comments:

Post a Comment