Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Carnegie Bound



Well, the time has finally come to leave for "Miami Takes Manhattan"tomorrow!! This banner picture is on the home page of Miami University's website, it's kind of a big deal.

In the Spring, when I realized that the Symphony Orchestra would be going to New York city within the first two months of school, it had me hesitant to try out because I was not sure if I would be adjusted well enough at that point. Right now, though, I'm really glad I chose to go for it anyway because I'm really excited! Carnegie Hall is one of the best (if not the best) concert hall, and I get to play there! It's amazing, and I'm not even a music major!

Starting in the summer, I started practicing some of the music for auditions, but more kept piling on once school began. Ever since then, we have practiced three times a week for the purpose to blow New York City away!

Yesterday we performed in a preview concert designed to have us perform our music for an audience before Sunday when we play in Carnegie Hall. Also, then college students and professors could see us perform without having to go to New York.

The Symphony Orchestra is not the only group going. The Chamber Singers, the Collegiate Chorale, the Jazz Ensemble, the Choraliers and the Men's Glee Club are also in the upcoming concert. We will be hosting a caravan of eight buses for all of us, that will be a sight.

Even though we have the main event, the Carnegie Hall concert, on Sunday along with a dinner cruise, we have some free time in the city on Friday and Saturday. I am still not sure what I will be doing during those times. I mean, when I went to New York with my orchestra junior year, we had a set schedule the entire time, so it will be weird being independent in the city, choosing how we want to spend our time.

I'm also supposed to get some pictures for The Miami Student while I'm there with my phone and point-and-shoot camera. We'll see how that goes, I don't want to be too much of a creep.

Until then, though, I must finish packing and prepare myself for a 12-14 bus ride at eight tomorrow morning. Hopefully I will be able to convince myself to get some work done over sleeping the entire trip!




~ Valerie

1 comment: