Friday, September 14, 2012

Drunken Photojournalism

I can honestly say that my idea of a Thursday night did not used to involve a pit of drunk people and an electronic band, but yesterday, it did.

After not hearing back from The Miami Student, the school newspaper, about joining, I decided to email the Photo Editor so they knew I was really interested in getting involved. She replied to me yesterday afternoon, asking if I could take pictures at the Savoy concert at Brick Street (the main bar Uptown) that night so they could see my abilities.

Even though the concert supposedly started at 9pm, no one started performing until around ten, and the main band they needed pictures of did not go on until 11:30. What time did I get there? 8:30. The guys at the door probably thought I was crazy. I thought I was being a good early journalist, but I just felt like an awkward freshman for a couple hours. After awhile though, one of the bartenders asked me what I was taking pictures for and offered me a chair. He was probably the only sober person I spoke to from then on.

Once a DJ started performing and some people starting arriving, I decided to test out my camera lighting before the main act. Some random guys would talk to me, asking if the camera I was using was mine and what I was taking pictures for. After awhile though I just started to assume everyone who spoke to me was drunk, so I just smiled and nodded until they went away. I started keeping count of how many drunk guys spoke to me, and by the end of the night, I got to ten.



To avoid the drunk people surrounding me, I stood by one of the security guards for most of the time, and he seemed amused whenever a couple of drunk guys wanted me to take their picture. I just did it anyway because they would be too drunk to realize that it did not come out at all. So many of them thought I was the best person ever for taking their picture, it was amusing. Although this one relatively came out, haha.




After awhile, the fake smoke and alternating lighting became impossible for my camera to get through, so I decided to leave. By then it was just a little after midnight, and I had to get up at 6:30 that morning. How great. Ashton offered to take a bus to meet me Uptown so I would not be alone, but there is a nighttime shuttle bus that you can call to take you home. So after some confusion, I got on the bus and arrived safely at my dorm. Thank goodness. There was a moment there when I was concerned on how I would be able to get back.

Oh well, it was definitely an experience, and I can say that I never experienced a photo assignment like that in high school. I sent some pictures to the Photo Editor this morning, so we'll just have to see how this plays out!



~ Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment